Monday, February 06, 2006

Breath of Life

Weighty, lying on my chest,
Across the highest ribs that
Rest under collar bone, this
Is her nest, her resting place.
She cares not for my book or
Program. She does not look
At my face for more than a
Moment, then her gaze lifts up
As if to watch a lazy summer fly.
But now it’s winter and no flies
Survive, so I know it’s just her
Way of keeping me in my place.
And then I feel it upon my cheek,
The tiniest caress, flowing from
Her nostrils poised just above.
This is the thing we share, or
At least a symbol of it. This is
The breath of life, given and
Returned, from cat to woman
And out to the farthest reaches
Of space, because the moon ring
Signals that travel is good tonight.
This is the breath of life, keeping
Us balanced and growing and
On the right path. Inside us,
It is chi and outside, moonbeams.

(c) 2006 Salle Hayden

1 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Blogger Jim Estill said...

great blog. Good to see you keep it up. If you start getting spam you may want to start using word identification.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home