Thursday, February 18, 2010

What a Great Break!

Did you hear about the woman who, when told to have a nice trip, tripped over a suitcase and cut her eye the night before traveling to a conference on domestic violence? How embarassing that was! I wore huge, Jackie-O or Sophia Loren sunglasses for the whole conference because just telling the story on myself was such a pain in the neck. Now, of course, ten years later, I've topped that.



As an actress I've heard "break a leg" numerous times and thought nothing of it. But it all came back to haunt me on Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Crossing over a dog fence between the living room and the kitchen my right foot made it, but the toes of the left foot caught and I went down on all fours (proving again that I have many cat-like qualities) and broke the left femur from the knee up.



I lay there for many long minutes, with a bag of ice to hold the pain at bay and a blanket to stave off the shock, resting my legs on a beanbag chair and thinking about how to, or if it would be necessary to, go to the hospital. Then, I tried to roll over to get up, saw and felt the separating bone under the skin and muscle and called 911.



But this is a story of joy. I met caring, wonderful people in the hospital for three days. I had surgery that relieved my physical pain. I was released on Christmas Day in the evening and got a chance to spend time with my son and his family. Over the next week his family became my family, too. I was absorbed into the center of this group of awesome folks and, yes, there is more! I met a fabulous little nine and a half month old person who laughed for me and walked for me and fell asleep on me. I had a great chance to bond with Tenzin Gabriel Moe, my greatgrandson.



When I returned home to San Jose, I was surrounded with loving, helping friends. People brought me food, cleaned my house, fed my cat, washed my clothes. I was held in the hands of Source and comforted.



Yes, this broken leg taught me patience, gracious receiving and how to ask for help. I also can count the pearls of friends on my necklace of life. AND I have a new, interesting scar to tell a story about. What's bad? Nothing.

2 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Blogger N F Guthrie 2020 said...

This is neat! Ten years later or thereabouts. Wow! Hi Salle from Nancy G. It is 7.3.20! ����

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger N F Guthrie 2020 said...

This is neat! Ten years later or thereabouts. Wow! Hi Salle from Nancy G. It is 7.3.20! ����

 

Post a Comment

<< Home